Thursday, March 25, 2010

Name Game: ugly tile to treasure

Ok, so first off let me admit something to you that you will quickly figure out... I'm not a great photographer AND apparently I might need glasses. What looked like a perfectly fine picture on the camera has turned out to be slightly blurry. And I don't have this project anymore because I made it for my sister. Oh and one other thing... since I made this project a few weeks ago and hadn't totally committed to starting a blog just yet, I dont' have any before and after pictures. I promise, I'll try to do better:(

Soooooo... I was perusing my way through one of the great stores of our time, "THE DOLLAR TREE" the other day. I came across these hideous titles that evidently were meant to be hung up. They were one of those things that are really, really ugly and you pick it up and say outloud, "what in the world?" But as soon as I got it in my hot little hand I realized it had great potential, it already had a hangar on the back and I knew one of my BFF's (mod podge) could cover the ugliness. So I grabbed 5 of them and headed out the store! Well not really out the store, I still had at least 4 aisles to go.


I've been wanting to make my sister something so I decided this would be her time. Here is the finished project. I'm trying to get a picture from my sister showing it hung up in her home. If she gets it to me, I'll update this post.






Here are the ingredients of this repurpose:

4 x 4 tiles (with or without hangars)
hangars (if needed)
E6000 adhesive
Mod Podge (i use matte finish)
sponge paint brush
scrapbook paper
craft paint to coordinate with paper
letters (i cut mine out with my cricut)
embellishments of your choosing
ribbon

Here we go! (I'm so excited, this is my first project post)

*I took the tiles home and removed the hangars. They were bright gold so I spray painted in a black satin finish.

*I painted the edges of the tiles and a small border on the perimeter with craft paint in a deep red.

*Cut your paper slightly smaller than the size of the tile. This way you'll see the paint color as a mat for your paper. You could use all of the same paper or choose coordinating papers like I did.

*Apply Mod Podge with the sponge brush to the tile and back of your paper. Attach paper to tile.

*As far as the letters go, you have many options. If you don't have a cricut machine, you can buy individual letters at most scrapbook stores or you could use a sheet of sticky ones. Whatever you like is what works! Apply letters by putting a coat of Mod Podge on the paper and then laying down the letter. Allow to sit approximately 1 minute and apply another coat on top.

*Allow to dry completely and then reapply the hangars with E6000 adhesive. This stuff is awesome!!!

*I tied a small black ribbon on each hangar and then added some self stick rhinestones because I always think a little bling is a good thing!

All this really cost me was $5 for the Dollar Tree tiles because I had everything else on hand. If you're someone who likes to craft, I'm sure you do too!

2 comments:

  1. Tell your new best friend, "Mod P.", hello for me. I'd hang out with the two of you, but she's a bit clingy for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's clingy, but she's really easy to get used to!

    ReplyDelete