Saturday, May 22, 2010

Jewelry Storage

You know those warning tags on some items that tell you the obvious? You know.. like a barbeque will have this on the box, "Not intended for indoor use" Really? You know what that means, right? It means some fool at some point in time used it indoors. Anyways, I like to ignore the obvious use of some items and repurpose them for something else. Thus the name of my blog... Repurposing on Purpose! So obvious, right? Anyways! When we bought our bedroom furniture a year ago I knew I wasn't happy with the knobs. The set is dark wood and the knobs were dark as well. I replaced them but of course didn't throw away the old knobs because that would be just plain ol' wasteful! So here we are a year later and after seeing so many different ways to organize and hang your jewelry in blogland, I came up with this:

This was a very simple project. I had a couple of frames that I painted with oil rubbed bronze paint. I had my hubby cut me a couple of pieces of whatever this is called. Its like a particle board and it came in a big picture that I had. He cut it to size for me. My frames were 5 x 7.

Here is a closeup of my knobs.

So I drilled some holes in the particle board. Unfortunately they were a little off centered. I need to get better with my measuring. After the holes were drilled I covered the board with scrapbook paper. I attached it with spray adhesive. I think I've told you about this adhesive before. I bought it at Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) and it is AWESOME!!! After getting the paper attached, you just put it back into the frame without the glass. (obviously, haha) Then just attach the knobs through the predrilled holes. I love how these came out. I gave one away as a gift and the other is just waiting for its ultimate destination. Hmmmm... i'm not sure what I'll do with it just yet!

As usual, if you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask! Have a great weekend.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Flower Purse

I just love the purses that have flowers all over them. I've been seeing them everywhere so I wanted to try to duplicate it! This is my first attempt and I already have another way to make it better next time. This is what I started with and got these items at.... where else? The Dollar Tree!!

So I'm sure you can do the math, 3 items=$3!! This is a true story, I was there the other day and this lady really did ask the clerk, "how much is this?" I really admire the clerk because she was able to answer "$1" with NO sarcasm in her voice whatsover! I bet they have special training just for that situation. LOL. Ok, back to the purse.

So I took apart the flowers so that I would have just the soft petals. I didn't want the hard plastic parts in there. Each bloom had about 6 separate petals. I took 3 of them and staggered the petals so it would look fuller. I hot glued this onto the purse. I wish I had taken pictures of the process, but it was too hard as I was constantly burning myself. There were still some empty spaces so I used brads to attach 3 of the fullest petals. I was trying to make sure it was really full and all the surface was covered. To make a smooth edge I glued a ribbon along the bottom and then glued a few rhinestones to it. This is the finished product.

Here is a close up of the flower that I used the brad on.

So all in all, I was pretty happy with it. The thing I will do different next time is to attach ALL the flowers with brads. This eliminates the burnt fingers, the stray glue strings and I wouldn't have to worry about the ribbon on the bottom.

Let me know what you think... love it? hate it? not sure??? Its okay, be honest. I'm a big girl and I can take it. Have a great week everyone.

PS I'm going back to L.A. later this week to see Mickey Mouse and go shopping, but I have another project I really hope to share before I go, so stay tuned!!!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

I love my Cricut!

For those of you who don't know what a Cricut is; its the most fantastical die cut machine ever. It can cut words in different fonts, shapes, characters, etc. It is the best invention EVER!!! I love it! So when I was asked to make something to donate to a silent auction I made these using my Cricut! I used the 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 pictures I bought at Dollar Mania and Mod Podged scrapbook paper to them. I cut the paper just slightly bigger than the board and then sanded the edges off. Then I used the Cricut to make the words.

This one was made using the "Love Struck" cartridge and then I used some paper flowers, rhinestones, ribbon and a little metal charm I had in my stash. I attached everything with my glue gun. I LOVE it, haha, get it??

This one was made using the "Stone Script" cartridge. Again I just added some bling to dress it up.

This last one was made with the "Ashlyn's Alphabet" cartridge. I used some eyelets, ribbon and some googly eyes covered with gauze. It looks really cute in person with the eyes peeking through. I saw an idea somewhere on one of the blogs I follow using the googly eyes on votive candles and wrapping with gauze. I bet that looks really cute when the candle is lit up. I'll do that come Halloween.

Here is a closeup of the googly eyes:

I included an easel in the package I donated. I think this is a cute idea for someone who wants to decorate for the different holidays but doesn't have a lot of room or a lot of decorations yet. Until next time!